Not too long ago I was in Ecuador at the "Mitad del Mundo" and noticed a
fairly significant discrepancy between my own GPS and an official marker.
 The Mitad del Mundo is a monument setup to mark the equator, after which
Ecuador is named.  Obviously the equator is a line, but this is a single
monument at an arbitrary longitude, not far from the capital city all the
same - don't ask me why.

The monument is erected where they thought the equator was, before being
able to measure this accurately.  A few hundred metres away is a museum
where the 'actual' equator is, supposedly measured with a 'military GPS' for
extra accuracy.  There are tricks there, such as egg-balancing on watching
the water go down the sink in different directions - supposedly induced by
the coriolis effect.

The problem is my consumer GPSes (a Garmin GPSMap 60Csx and an HTC Magic
running Android) thought that the equator was about 30-40m away from where a
'military GPS' had supposedly measured it and where these equatorial tricks
were being performed.  When I walked to where they thought the equator was,
it run through the middle of a nearby road and car park.

Had they just placed the museum in a more convenient place than the middle
of the nearby road (which couldn't be moved)?  Or is this sort of
discrepancy known and accepted?  Didn't Clinton turn the encryption off some
of the accuracy bits of the GPS signal at some stage (making military vs
consumer less important)?