On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 11:24:32 +0200
M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> without their database (i.e. georeferenced images made available
> through the streetview api) you would never be able to find your
> house in billions of fotos, nor know where a certain foto was taken
> for 99,99999% of their fotos (which are not taken in the small world
> of your personal knowledge).
>
> I am not a lawyer, and I am not sure whether streetview fotos are
> protectable or not (and whether they are actually protected in the
> current form they are made available), but I think that you see it in
> a too simplistic way.

While I'm not in the habit of collecting information from Google
StreetView, it is fair to say that if I go to the public library and in the
thousands of volumes there I find one with the assistance of the old
card catalogue and the Dewey assignment of books, then no one is
concerned about my use of the library database to find my book.
The law then states how much I can copy (this varies in different
countries, I give no example) out of that particular book.

The Google StreetView database isn't in Europe, it doesn't have any
special conditions attached to its use, so how will using that database
to find my particular building in a photograph be relevant to the the
information contained in the photograph?