Frederik Ramm (frede...@remote.org) wrote:

Hi,

for a few years now, the Geofabrik download server (download.geofabrik.de) has been serving various, daily updated, regional OSM extracts, in XML and shape file form, and for the last half year also in PBF form.

After a few hiccups in the past weeks, I have moved the server to new infrastructure with more of everything so that you shouldn't see any more "503 service unavailable" messages (except when you're really trying very hard to abuse the machine).

Before, the .pbf and .bz2 and .shp files were all created on a machine in the Geofabrik office and uploaded to the download server for distribution, and with the office only having 10 MBit upstream connectivity, there was a limit to how much could be transferred every night. I'm now slowly changing to a setup where the .bz2 and perhaps eventually even the .shp files will be created directly on the download server, giving me more room to create additional extracts (think US states) and upload them in the time we've saved.

Together with the added disk space on the download server this means that I can continue supporting the bz2 format indefinitely, although I expect it gradually to fall behind in currency (currently, the bz2 will show up a few hours after the .pbf; in the future this might increase to half a day or so). The .pbf format is definietly the preferred format.

I would like to thank GWDG who are hosting a mirror for the Europe and Germany extract, by far the most popular files on the download server. The server will redirect you to their mirror if and only if it is clear from the log files that the mirror has the complete latest version of a file. (This is new, too - before, it was possible that the server would redirect you to a stale copy on the mirror.)

You're welcome to continue using the server - but even though all is new and shiny now, please act responsibly and download only what you need. Hoarding doesn't make sense - who wants yesterday's geodata anyway?

Bye
Frederik

Do you publish any stats on your downloads (top 50 extracts, location of downloaders, frequency of re-visit etc). Would be interesting to see.

--
Charlie