New Caledonia is not part of Australia.  It is approx 2000km east of the
closest point in Australia, about the same distance as New Zealand is.
Does the Australia file (which doesnt seem to be on that linked page at
the moment) cover the entire oceania region?

Maybe its worth looking at putting up smaller filtered extracts (ie.
only highway tagged ways or only amenity tagged features for the US
users, this would reduce the extract size for those who only wish to use
it for navigation or who simply want to keep their POI db up-to-date.

David