Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:

>I would like a big player with a big legal department - say, for
>example, Navteq - grabbing our data for a reasonably well mapped place,
>perhaps a city only, incorporating it into their data set in way that it
>either obvious (i.e. we can easily prove that they did it), or maybe
>they even admit it. Then I would like someone who has contributed data
>in that area to sue them, and I would like the lawsuit to have an
>outcome that hurts the big player

Hmm... so the fact that such grabbing of data has never occurred does not count
as evidence for you.  This is problematic, since in general things only go to
court if the legal status is questionable.  If it's reasonably certain, the side
that's in the wrong will back down long before then.  For example, I don't think
the GNU GPL has ever gone to court.

There are however plenty of test cases involving copying of maps and map data,
including in the United States.  As I understand it these broadly support
copyrightability of maps, although the case law for something like a phone
directory is quite different.  Anyway, we've been over that before.

--
Ed Avis <e...@wanisset.com>