On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> I would like a big player with a big legal department - say, for example,
> Navteq - grabbing our data for a reasonably well mapped place, perhaps a
> city only, incorporating it into their data set in way that it either
> obvious (i.e. we can easily prove that they did it), or maybe they even
> admit it.

We've waited five years for this to happen.  CC-BY-SA licensed data is
clearly not very attractive to these people.  Perhaps the quality of
the data is not good enough for them?  Or perhaps they realise that it
would be a net loss for them to infringe copyright.

>Then I would like someone who has contributed data in that area to
> sue them, and I would like the lawsuit to have an outcome that hurts the big
> player (e.g. either that they have to pay a lot of money or that they have
> to release all their data or all their customers who used that data have to
> release whatever they built on top or something).

So far any copyright infringer has backed down gracefully rather than
risk it.  If the took legal advice then they were presumably advised
that it was wasn't a good bet.

Do you think that Google haven't considered the possibilty of
incorporating OSM data into their MapMaker database?  Why do you think
they haven't?  Perhaps our data is not good enough for them?  Or
perhaps, legally, they don't think they have the right?

There is zero chance that any large organisation would try to use
OSM's CC-BY-SA licensed map data and think that they would get away
with it.