On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Martijn,
>

> Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> I'd have to concur. Firstly, a new logo is not something you roll out on
>> its own, it's part of a new 'corporate identity'
>>

> To be honest, if SWG started forming a "corporate identity subcommittee"
> I'd probably run away screaming. (They would provide local chapters with
> little brochures explaining how much space there must be between the logo
> and any text, and which Pantone colours exactly to use for the logo. Nothing
> else will do!) Next, we'll have to hire a web designer and an usability
> consultant, and a PR company craft press releases about how OSM is
> "reinventing location" and other bullshit bingo top hits.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a proponent of any of that corporate identity
Scheiße, but the fact of the matter is that there are innumerable
publications using the now-defunct OSM logo and it's going to confuse people
if they see a different logo for what we would like to think of as one
entity. I'm as much a fan of leaving things to the community to sort out,
but some things should be coordinated somewhat. I believe that is what the
OSMF and the working groups are for.

> [..]
>

> I like the haphazard way in which things are done around here. And I'm not
> saying this tongue-in-cheek, I really do. It gives me hope that we're not
> yet in a situation where every improvement has to go through some sort of
> complicated three-level approval process.

I think one long hard look at taginfo is haphazardry enough for even most
people *in* the community ;)
--
Martijn van Exel
http://about.me/mvexel