On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Paul Hartmann <phaau...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> The animations are awesome though. On my system, they work in Chrome, but
> not in Firefox 3.6 or Opera 11.01 browser.

The zoom animation works on browsers that support CSS3 Transforms and
Transitions (e.g. in Chrome, FF4+, Safari, iOS). It's also coming in IE9 &
Opera in future versions.

> Normally I'd say it is good to have a little competition, but wouldn't it
> be so much easier to fork OL and rewrite the parts you don't like? A
> "friendly fork" could contribute some code upstream occasionally.

If I had to rewrite the parts of OL I don't like I would end up rewriting
everything (not to mention how enormous it is in terms of amount of code).
Not that there's something really bad about it, it's just has a different
vision from mine: development approach, design choices, API, set of
features, etc. I guess I need to write a big detailed post about reasons
that convinced me to write a library from scratch when I could just use OL -
but believe me, they were quite significant.

But I'd love to contribute to Polymaps and Modest Maps JS libraries in
future - I like them a lot. :)

--
Vladimir Agafonkin
Front-End Architect, CloudMade