On 10 June 2011 22:16, TimSC <mappingli...@sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:

> I think you are confusing "support the relicense" with "accept the
> relicense" and that difference is significant.

Not at all - I know of no form of democracy that distinguishes between
grudging acceptance or evangelical zeal. In particular, in direct
democracy such as a referendum, small groups always design the
question that will be put to the electorate, tuning it as required so
it will command the support of a sufficient majority while still
achieving the goal.

If a sufficient majority votes yes (and this is often also referred to
as "supporting" the referendum), it is carried. If close to 99% votes
yes then it is common to talk of overwhelming support. Will some
voters be grumbling that they didn't like how the question was posed?
Sure they will. But the result is still binding, because that's how
democratic decisions work.

We attack the principles of democracy at our peril - most of the tried
alternatives are quite nasty.

Dermot