Looking at the details it seems like the "Australia" being referred to
is the continent, not the country. The New Zealand node has a
"is_in:continent=Australia" tag and there is a place=continent node
that nominatim is associating it with. So I guess this is "correct"
but perhaps a little confusing in how it is displayed. Perhaps you
should rename your continent to avoid this confusion!

New Zealand node:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/248120384

Continent node:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/249399679

Nominatim details page where you can see the place:continent association:
http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/v1/details.php?place_id=697148

Toby