It is confusing, but I don't think that I'd call it correct, either.
New Guinea can be considered part of the Australian continent, but New
Zealand is not. It's Islands, and not on the continental shelf.  It
and NG are sometimes listed as part of Australasia (not Australia),
and a bigger area still is called Oceania.

Stephen