Hi,

Thank you for your response.

>> I believe Richard F has made comments in the past that we shouldn't do this

Well, I don't know about the discussion yet, maybe you could give me a hint for which subject to search for? I just want to mention, that for Wikipedia there exists an analysis about the conceptual (=meaning) stability their URLs[1]: > 90% of Wikipedia URLs are stable identifiers, and a further ~5% change in meaning only slightly. (Figure 2)[1]
So I am eager to know what the counter arguments were :)

Anyway, the reason I ask is: if someone did this analysis (and maybe the implementation of a tool for persistent ids) for OpenStreetMap as a part of his master thesis, would he be doing duplicate work (as maybe there are already plans for creating such system)? and if so: where can I find related work?

If there are no plans yet, could anyone who is aware of discussions on this topic give me some pointers?

Thank you in advance and cheers,
Claus

[1] Hepp et. al, Harvesting Wiki Consensus - Using Wikipedia Entries as Ontology Elements, ESWC 2006