Am Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:43:54 +0200
schrieb Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/02/11 15:21, Gregor Horvath wrote:
> > It is a logically inaccurate to delete an ID in such cases.
> > What you actually logically do is replacing an ID, or creating an
> > alias. The problem is there is no semantic in OSM data to express
> > such a move operation. Deleting is the wrong one. Deleting means a
> > destroyed house or physically removed street and in this case it is
> > logically correct that the ID is gone.
>
> No. You are entirely mistaken in applying that kind of semantic to
> OSM. When a mapper maps a street, or a building, or anything, the ID
> is just a throwaway by-product of that process which allows us to
> refer to the object internally. The mapper does not willingly say: "I
> hereby assign the following ID to you, house, to remain with you
> until you are destroyed!"

OSM provides uri's to ID's which are linked to names of
physical objects. Example:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1381574156

IN HTTP world URI's should be stable and a request for a moved object
should return an HTTP Status code of 301 ( Moved Permanently) instead
of 404 (Not Found).

The same logic should apply to OSM ID's/URI's

> Deleting an object in OSM only becomes "logically inaccurate" if one
> makes the semantic connection that you are making ("deleted object ->
> demolished house"), but in fact it is that connection that is
> logically baseless. (For example, we would also delete an object if
> we find out that it was wrongly imported or taken from an unsuitable
> source, just to mention the most obvious examples.)

These are also valid cases for a "not found" 404.
I am not against deleting at all. There are perfectly valid cases for
that.

I propose to add the possibility to model a move. (Not a must, like any
other tagging in OSM)

> This is an interesting idea that would often make it easier to find
> out what someone has done in an editing session - has he shortened
> one way and created another new way, or has he simply split one?
>
> But it should not be confused with ID persistence.

Yes, I am not for total ID persistence, because as I said there _are_
valid cases for deleting an ID. But a move, join or rename is not a
delete operation.

--
Greg