2011/8/2 Ian <ian.d...@gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:14:13 AM UTC-5, Gregor Horvath wrote:
>> Now if this node (point on a map) is replaced with another one by a
>> fellow mapper (for whatever reason), I think it would be a progress if
>> ID 1381574156 points to the new node instead of vanishing.
> Who or what decides that the ID 1381574156 should move rather than
> disappear?
> If it is to be a computer algorithm, who writes it? What happens when a node
> tagged as a pub turns into a way tagged as the same pub? Maybe it turns into
> a relation (because it is a multipolygon)?

With current semantics it is not possible to decide where to go with
an ID if an object gets changed. Many objects have tags like
building=yes, amenity=xy on them, and you can't even tell from the
data whether "name" is referring to the building or to the amenity.
How would you know whether the ID was used for the building or for the
service inside the building?

cheers,
Martin