On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> I think you are again making the mistake of mixing various layers of
> meaning. If someone deletes an object in OSM to trace it anew, from better
> imagery for example, then he is creating a new model, and the old model
> ceases to exist. It is perfectly ok for a link to the old model to return
> 404.

Presumably you're being facetious, and know full well that what we're
talking about is the use case of people using OSM links to link to a
surrogate for a real world object, rather than the OSM link itself.
When I linked from Wikipedia to an OSM relation describing a bike
path, it's because that OSM relation is the most precise description
of the bike path available on the web.

>As I said, if there is a mistake here then it is probably in your expectation,
>not in what OSM is doing; and it may be
>our fault to have given you that expectation by using a REST interface. We
>should take care to make clear on the
>Wiki that OSM is a database of models of things - models that may vanish at
>any time - and not a database of things.

Is it really the case that we don't want the OSM servers to provide
useful "read-only" services? How come?

Steve