On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Barnett, Phillip <
phillip.barn...@itn.co.uk> wrote:

> From the legislation guidance notes
> "An individual is 'identified' if you have distinguished that individual
> from other members of a group. In most cases an individual's name together
> with some other information will be sufficient to identify them."
>
> http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/determining_what_is_personal_data/whatispersonaldata2.htm
>

>  So if you had said that a large number of applications had been made from
> Apple employees, then since we have no way of knowing whether every single
> Apple employee, up to and including the janitor, had made an application to
> join, we are not be able to reverse-engineer the membership status of any
> individual employee, and so this is not 'personal' information but aggregate
> group information.

Regardless of whether the data protection act was relevant, we acted on the
side of caution.

CloudMade is not Apple.  If we had disclosed that a large number of
CloudMade employees had just signed up then because it was such a small
company it would have been pretty easy to deduce who might or might not be a
member.

In any case since there was no wrong doing there was nothing to disclose
anyway.