On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Ian Sergeant <iserg...@hih.com.au> wrote:
> When I have a v1 object that is non-CT compliant, then we have to assume the
> further revisions may be derivatives.

Why do we have to assume this?

> If CT-agreed mappers have added tags
> from a survey in later revisions, then we can possibly grab those, but apart
> from that it is a remapping effort that needs to be undertaken.

How can that remapping effort avoid making a derivative?

> However, when we have a v2 non-CT compliant object based on a v1
> CT-compliant one, it is a different story.

Sure, but how do we recognize a v1 CT-compliant object?  The average
mapper does not have the legal expertise to determine CT compliance.

> The objective is a CT-clean database, with the absolute minimum data loss.
>
> The discussion is about the best way to accomplish that, especially where we
> have CT-agreed versions of objects that we want to leverage.

I would suggest that having amateurs determine what is and is not
compliant is most certainly not the best way to accomplish this.

Furthermore, the goal is not to have a CT-clean database.  You already
have a CT-clean database.  The goal, apparently, is to have an
ODbL-clean database.