On 9/8/2011 11:30 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 09/08/2011 05:20 PM, SteveC wrote:
* Chicken and egg. No OSM answers supplied today - so why would there be
lots of questions?

+1 to Mikel: Let's answer questions by pointing people to our existing support infrastructure; not by trying to create another support infrastructure (one of the disadvantages of which is that after a few hours no second person will profit from the answer given because it is not archived).

To *encourage* people to use twitter as a support medium would be detrimental.

Personally I want the OSM attitude to be "that's a fun idea, let's try
it". This costs us basically nothing

You're free to answer tweets like anyone else is free to do, and indeed does already. That doesn't cost anything indeed. Setting up a project that bundles peoples' time by enticing them to take part in your fun idea will ONLY cost us nothing if these people were NOT using their time to help OSM before. If, on the other hand, by giving twitter users the impression that they will be personally cared for if they just shout out their problems, you create an atmosphere where experienced OSMers will spend much more time to personally tend to such questions (because participation is drawn away from media like help.osm.org where answers are archived and because new users are not encouraged to search for answers in these well-redacted media), then this does indeed lower the overall quality of service we can provide because our resources are limited.

I suppose it's a sign of the project's maturity that we discuss rather than solve problems.

Steve