Van: Jaakko Helleranta.com [mailto:jaa...@helleranta.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 15 september 2011 4:34
Aan: Ian Sergeant; ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen
CC: Talk@OSM
Onderwerp: Re: [OSM-talk] Barriers of Entry

I very much like Ian's idea. Coincidentally I talked about this with
some people at SotM.

It seems to me that a number of people have started editing osm after a
significant delay because they've felt the barriers badly (both
regarding tools and technical creation of the map as well as fear of
breaking the data). I remember these fears / issues being one cause for
my delayed start to contributing to osm.

Now, what if we had a more or less obviously "optional" (opt-out)
graduated access scheme?

What if we simply required the promise of users to say that "I know how
to edit this & that feature", "Sure I understand what tertiary roads are
over unclassified/residential -- and I promise not to tag all roads I
edit with tertiary!", "I'll definitely look into empty nodes history
before deleting them to make sure that no one has deleted the tags by
accident", or "Of course I won't mess up the coastline". Etc.

What if we simply trusted that people can recognize when they are able
to do certain types of "more difficult" edits?

There could also be an "I'd love it if someone more experienced (or
self-confident) could double check that my edits are ok before they get
submitted to the live database!" option.

Since there were multiple people at SotM who think they would have
started editing sooner than they ended up doing I'm wondering how many
people there r out there that have signed up but have never made an edit
that could already have made edits if we would have such options in
place? I'm also pretty confident that such options, even when set to be
voluntary, could reduce some common quality problems.

Cheers from Haiti (which I think would benefit from some of the above
mentioned options),
jaakkoh

Sent from my BlackBerry(r) device from Digicel
--
Mobile: +509-37-26 91 54, Skype/GoogleTalk: jhelleranta