"Gert Gremmen" <g.grem...@cetest.nl> wrote on 15/09/2011 03:51:11 PM:

> I definitely do NOT want a *diploma* system
> with less or more "approved" users.. Noooooooo

> We don't want OSM to change into Brave New World,
> 1984 or distinct between users on other characteristics
> History is full of such mistakes.

Training and skills acquisition before undertaking complex tasks is a
fairly commonplace activity in our society.  It really doesn't equate to a
"Brave New World".   History is indeed full of these mistakes, these
mistakes are the reasons we have schools, universities, drivers licences,
and many other forms of training and qualification.

Not every task can be made simple, and our society is often structured
such that people expect everything they are actually allowed to do to be
harmless.  If you lower the barrier to entry, and make something appear
simple that isn't, you aren't doing anyone any favours.  I'm sure we can
ask someone to demonstate their ability to do a complex task before
undertaking it, without too much danger of taking a step closer to the OSM
equivalent of a Stalinist regime :-)

Ian.