On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Jochen Topf <joc...@remote.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 08:57:22AM -0500, Jaakko Helleranta.com wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> One of the first things that came out was a request to have some sort of
>> edit review system for anyone who doesn't feel super comfortable about their
>> edits when sending them (or for those mappers' edits that the group would
>> like to have reviewed before uploading).
>>
>> [snip]
>
> I have seen blog posts complaining about the Google system where local
> knowledge was ignored by Google admins sitting thousands of miles away who
> did know a lot less about some edit than the originator.

I don't think Jaakko ever suggested there would be "OSM admins"
ignoring locals, but rather experienced *volunteers* who review the
edits, make suggestions or changes, and either commit the changes or
send the change back to the user for further changes. If the user
disagrees with the changes made by the volunteer reviewer, then they
can commit the changes anyway or undo the modifications made by the
reviewer if the changes were already committed. The key is that these
reviews are only upon request of the user, and the user can decide to
accept or reject the reviewer's advice and changes.

> [snip]
> There is no way around it: Mapper have to learn how to judge the data thats
> there and their own data in relation to it. Mappers will make mistakes, thats
> part of the process. A reviewing process tied to the main OSM database would
> be very hard to implement, you'll need to keep track of multiple versions of
> everything etc.

I also don't think he ever suggested we tie this to the OSM database,
as I can imagine several ways this idea could be implemented without
doing so. Perhaps the simplest is to allow a user to flag a changeset
for review (via Potlatch2), but the changes are committed immediately
as usual. The flagged changeset number is then sent to some other
server, where volunteer reviewers can peruse and answer the review
requests. No changes to the OSM API or DB needed.

> I think "the system" works fine. We do have a lot of platforms for people to
> ask questions and to discuss changes. There are web forums and mailing lists
> and bug trackers (like opestreetbugs which allows comments). People can come
> to local meetups and discuss particular changes there. Lets work on these
> kind of platforms to make them more accessible and easier to use.

Yes, lots of platforms so people are confused where to go to ask
questions and dump all their questions on help.osm.org, whether or not
that is the appropriate venue. :-)

I encourage someone to implement this system, and create a custom
Potlatch2 instance with a "Flag for review" button. It really
shouldn't be that hard to get the basics going, then a more
sophisticated UI/workflow or integration can be done later. Again, all
without touching the OSM API.

-Josh