I also think that a voluntary opt-in review system would work - and only
really needs someone to write one, and a JOSM plugin, and a Potlatch 2
patch. It's on my list of things to do, but I doubt I will ever get around
to doing it. But that's all that needs happen by someone - do-ocracy etc...

In terms of what's in it for the user - the reviewer sees newbies edits in
their area of interest - they can help maintain the area, and the newbie, of
course would get valuable feedback.

lots of love,

chippy.