Like all things OSM, there are at least three answers - what the wiki says, what plant.osm has and how renders behave. A few examples from planet.osm:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/256423505 Name = Nicosia, capital = yes, is_in = Cyprus

Northern Cypress also claims this as a capital. Note - the name is in English - not Turkish or Greek.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1147314253 name = 台北市 (Taipei), capital = yes, is_in = Taiwan

China claims Taiwan is not a country so a relation like: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/449220 seems to be controversial.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/448726107 name = Prishtinë, is_in:country = Kosovo, capital = yes

Kosovo is not universally recognized.

To summarize - the name= can be in English, mixed languages, or local. You can use the capital=yes on capitals recognized by only one country, or a handful, or many. The relation of capital=yes and country can be established by relation, by in_in:country or not at all. I'm not arguing there shouldn't be a standard, but I am pointing out OSM is hardly consistent.

John

On 64-07-22 11:59 AM, dimka israeli wrote:
> I'd suggest we remove the capital: tags (too controversial, and I've
> removed them from the quotes) , and then I think this is perfect.

In that case, what is the meaning of "capital=yes" in OSM?