On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert
Gremmen <g.grem...@cetest.nl> wrote:

> B/ Third world
> A second important thing will be to provide information to the third world,
> countries where a simple paper map is simply not available, or outdated
> or lists only those things that are politically correct. OSM, as
> a user generated map, is able to make itself free from that limitations
> and should innovate the way poor countries use maps.
> HOT is one step into that direction, but by its nature triggered
> by disasters is always lagging the need for data. Can OSM
> provide means to those countries to get a grip on their own geo-data
> and how ?

I'd like to point out that HOT has been working on data preparedness
in some countries but there is certainly more we can do.  I think
supporting of more simple uses of the data would be a great way. At
the moment you can spend a lot of time teaching people how to add/edit
data, but then there are actually not that many ways to use it if you
have a 10 dollar Nokia phone and no access to a printer.  The next
project Maps for All is also working on this: http://mapsforall.org/.
Plus the work of Ground Truth in places like Kibera.

More support to provide GPS units can definitely help as well and
perhaps strategic purchase of imagery.  It is so frustrating to
introduce someone to OSM and then they actually have no way to
contribute locally because there is no high resolution imagery
available of where they live and they have no access to GPS.

Better localization can also help as well.

If many are interested in this type of support there are many ways
things could be furthered.

-Kate