Hi Mick,

On 14 January 2012 05:28, mick <bare...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> My goal was to create a 'Bastard Son of OSM' as a means to share my work
> with those people of similar interest but, as OSM has no ability to offer
> user selected layers I'm looking at other options.
>
> Please let us know which option you settle on - I would be interested to
see how that works.

I think I misunderstood your original question.   I see now that you were
proposing to set up a completely different system, based on the OSM
software.

You could easily use the existing OSM software to produce different map
layers for display based on start/end date / civilization / period etc. for
display to users (as long as you tag the features in the map with these!).

Do you mean editor support for 'layers' to make it easy to edit only
features with a specific start/end date / civlization etc.?    The JOSM
editor allows you to filter data (
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Dialog/Filter), which could give you
a similar effect (e.g. only display data tagged as civilization=roman
etc.).  I am not sure if you can do that in Potlatch though.

Therefore I think you could achieve what you want with existing OSM
software.   Maybe a bit of customisation to make editing easier or to allow
filtering on date ranges.

Regards

Graham.
--