Steve Bennett wrote:
> I can't speak for other countries, but in my city (Melbourne,
> population 4 million, second biggest in Australia), parts of
> the largest freeway, right near the centre of town, are currently
> on the chopping board. That's a lot worse than any other
> everyday missing roads, holes etc.

Yup. Australia and Poland are much, much worse affected than any other
country. There are local circumstances which you know already.

That isn't at all representative of the wider impact. In the UK the main
effect is going to be that a few towns (such as Weybridge) drop down, for a
couple of months, to the quality level of less well-mapped towns (such as
Banbury or Rochdale) - which is a shame but not cataclysmic. Our principal
road network will not be affected.

Britain is roughly representative of the worldwide situation (odbl.poole.ch
reports 97.6% highways 'safe' in the UK, 97.5% worldwide). Given that we
still have over three weeks to go; that the pace of remapping is picking up;
and that there are no doubt acceptances still to come, the picture outside
Australia and Poland is pretty optimistic.

Foursquare are clearly pretty smart people - you don't get to be a $600m
business otherwise ;) . I am sure they, and others, did at least a trivial
level of research before switching to OSM. If they, or any other tile users,
are concerned about the licence change, there are several options open to
them: stop taking updates for a week or two, perhaps, or continue to serve
pre-changeover tiles for Australia (there's no licensing reason not to)
until the datasets approach parity. AIUI, and I stand to be corrected,
Foursquare's tiles are actually prerendered rather than being rendered on
demand, so this is particularly easy for them.

cheers
Richard