There will probably be a heads up immediately before work on the DB starts.

If you are concerned about the effects of the change, it would be best
to simply stop consuming the diffs at that point in time and reimport
the planet after the changeover, when you feel that is appropriate
(note: that at least for a clean change, you should take a reimport in
to account anyway).

There is one issue currently and that is that we have no way of reaching
out to data consumers and keeping them informed (except the couple of
large ones that we naturally know about).

If you are such a data consumer I would suggest at least subscribing to
the announce mailing list.

Simon