2012/3/17 Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>

> Hi,
>

> On 03/12/2012 08:56 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> There's nothing keeping one from applying the Tiles@Home lowzoom process
>> to a slight variation of our standard Mapnik style however, and out
>> comes this (for zoom levels 0-8; from z9 on, the standard Mapnik style
>> looks fine):
>>
>> http://fred.dev.openstreetmap.**org/lowzoom/<http://fred.dev.openstreetmap.org/lowzoom/>
>>

> I have uploaded a new version of these tiles, exaggerating the linework so
> that now even areas with no landcover import but a dense road network (e.g.
> South America) look "busy" on the map.
>
> I think this comes pretty close to the Tiles@Home lowzoom tiles now. I
> might still have to do something about the country borders and labels.
>
> I would like to repeat that this map is not intended to be particularly
> pretty; it is intended to be something like an "index" to OpenStreetMap
> data, something that tells you that there's something to discover if you
> zoom in on a particular location.

I think it's beautiful!
The only thing that I don't understand is the jump of administrative
borders rendering around zoom 4-5, on lowest zooms seems a physical map
(borders are nearly invisibile) then suddenly become thicker. I have this
impression more on Europe where's a lot of landuse. Also when appear the
city labels for the first zoom, the font is the same size as the countries
labels..