Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
(Skipping all this, because obviously you are not that well informed
about how this situation with Ukraine came into being)

Actually I don't think it is particularly relevant in any of these disputes, the thing is simply that OSM is fundamentally 'English' and this is the problem?

Personally when I look at a map I prefer 'English' names, and so I would anticipate that someone would be helpful and provide an :en translation ... which would probably start another dispute ... but the point here is that what ever is done is wrong.

The starting point is the tagging, and every name entered should have the :lang extension, even English ones, so that when raw data is accessed a number of options are available. The applications reading the data then display the preferred language of the user. Of cause what do we default to is the crux of the problem here, but having a CHOICE would get over many of the disputes?

Rendering to a single map is never going to be ideal, and the 'map what is on the ground' rule should ALWAYS take priority. It's not use printing a map with welsh on it if the road signs only show English. So from my point of view if a print an 'untranslated' map I would expect to be able to find the roads if I could read the signs? Providing a translated map is exactly what the dual map approach was set up for but has to be done on a regional rather than world basis?

So ... TAG every language (please ;) ) but keep the main osm map following the 'map what is on the ground' rule ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL