On Thursday 26 July 2012 11:48:39 Jo wrote:
> Anyway, as far as OSM goes, it's the first mapper who maps something who
> decides on which order is being used.

Slightly more difficult: It's true that the first mapper decides for the
region of Brussels-capital, which is bilingual. But in the "municipilaties
with facilities" (to you foreigners: municipalities not belonging to Brussels
and which thus have only one official language, but offer facilities in the
other language, for example in schools and courts), the official language
always comes first.

> For street names I wouldn't mind French - Dutch consistently as French uses
> Noun/Adjective whereas we use Adjective/Noun in Dutch (like in English, but
> we write Parkstraat in one word, like in German...)

That's what you often see in Brussels btw, like:

Rue de
  Quelque Chose
      Iets
           straat

With names it can be compacted as

Avenue
   John Doe
          laan

a few examples: static.skynetblogs.be/media/135561/2636563073.jpg

Anyway, it's a minefield but it looks like we've solved it well in osm. In the
past years there has been the odd user changing the orders of names (which is
considered vandalism), but it's very rare.

Greetings
Ben