sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
there's also the technical or procedural aspect (...)
>I don't think these should be decided locally.
And that's where we disagree. Your are not accepting any distinction about all
different cases in your statement, and it seams you are implicitly denying
the ability of the local community to decide wisely.

sly - take a step back.
The 'mechanisms' that we use MUST be managed centrally, along with the core software, and it is this mechanism that is currently BROKEN when handling imported data? We do not have a robust process in place world wide so we don't want groups running creating their own isolated processes?

Now I have no doubt there are some clever people in every local workgroup who can take their own data sources and manipulate them in a way that can then be imported into the main database. There are no objections to that. Some imports will be geo-referencing new raster layers and there is no dispute about that process, but when it comes to 'importing' raw data there are big holes in the process world wide which still need plugging rather than local groups plouging on down their own 'agenda'. Now if there is no interest in supporting a central mechanism to work towards AUTOMATICALLY importing LOCALLY processed data then so be it. Go on wiping and reloading every time the source data is updated and manually merging everything. I happen to think that is the wrong way of doing it, but in the case of the French data I don't have the information to suggest anything else :( In the case of the UK data we know how, we are just not allowed to yet double :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL