Frederik Ramm wrote:
I think that "drawing all of the nodes and points manually" is an
important difference, from a quality point of view.  Each node or way
that you draw by hand, is carefully considered and placed, one at a
time.  It isn't perfect; nothing is.  I suggest that this leads to a
kind of automatic quality control, as the nodes and ways are placed.

To give an example, look at this imported building

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/funnybuilding.png

Note how the main building consists of 8 separate parts plus a strange diagonal
line, and note how the smallest parts are just about 2 metres wide.

Compare to the aerial image:

http://binged.it/UuYSio

A very careful tracer of the aerial image might indeed have created more than
just one shape for this, but there is hardly anything there on the imagery that
suggests *such* a complex edifice.

This is not an example that you only find after a long search; it is a typical
cadastre import building.

Now that I understand what is going on, I can see where some off the 'extra' lines come from, and the diagonal is probably due to a boundary detail from changing sheets. However while the source has two different shades of block for buildings, I don't think they can be used at this stage to provide useful extra lines. The process that is extracting the vectors should further process the data so that each block IS a single continuous outline? Later comparison will then be easier as long as say 90% of the area matches the previous instance?

Of cause simply importing thousands of these objects without a visual check of every one of them is something completely different to hand tracing every one of them. I'd prefer that there was some cross check that objects have been verified. And in my book, having to manually select objects to import would provide that check? So I'd block any area select function, so that hundreds of objects can't simply be picked and pushed?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL