2013/2/23 Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com>:
> The problem is that people think that a vote on the wiki pages means that
> the far more common tag is wrong. I tag my bus stops with highway=bus_stop
> (as well as operator, ref and shelter/bench information)

+1, in this particular case I also question whether public_transport
will ever become the preferred tag for bus stops, it doesn't offer any
advantages *1 but requires more effort from the mapper for the same
content (you'd need at least 2 tags instead of one, because you have
to add bus=yes, and eventually with the public_transport-scheme you'd
also need an explicit relation for what can be easily accomplished by
software (projecting the bus stop to the stop position on the road).

cheers,
Martin

*1 at least as long as you don't consider it an advantage to have
train stations and bus stops tagged with the same key (personally I
don't).