2013/3/30 Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de>

> Define long-term.

I think you can't define this on a global level, it depends heavily on the
local activity whether it makes sense to enter a mid-term interruption into
OSM or ignore it.

> When you look into cat manufacturer supplied satnav systems people drive
> around with 4-5 year old maps - which are still perfectly okay.

With OSM-data I wouldn't expect someone to use 4 or 5 year old data on the
other hand ;-)

> If we start tagged ultra-short-term problems the maps cant be put into
> offline systems like in-dash satnavs.

offline systems without updating possibility will always have the problems
you get with a single snapshot (e.g. errors introduced by novice mappers or
for other reasons and corrected shortly after, e.g. recently we had such a
case in the Italian motorway system which caused a deviation for everyone
using this motorway (one of two for North-South-connections, so roughly
half the long-range traffic). I think we should discourage people from
mapping the current state just because it might change in a few months and
people using old data and not updating it would have problems, instead I
believe that real time data will get even more important than it is already
now.

cheers,
Martin