On 25/06/2013 17:22, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> Sorry to be so harsh

It's not the first time we welcome researchers on this list in such a
bad mood (not necessarily you Jonathan). It's childish. You could
start by explaining that the tagging process is complex, is not only
happening on the wiki, that not all of them are the result of a
consensus, that some of them are raised on foreign countries and
extended later to the world (e.g. the "Karlsruhe schema").

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd argue that consensus is formed not from the wiki as much as from
> from the editors, and the renderers, and taginfo.

You cannot say that. Give me an example where the editors decided how
to tag features in the past. By chance, the developers are not trying
to impose new tags or changes. They follow what's happening on the
tagging list and/or the wiki. And taginfo is just showing stats which
can be easily biased by mass imports.

> I think it's 3% of OSM users are responsible for 80-something percent of all
> OSM data
and probable 1% of that 3% is talking about creating, refining or
changing tags. Most of the contributors simply don't search too long
for a tag definition or a corresponding proposal on the wiki or
statistics on taginfo. Most of them will simply not map the feature if
if it's not present in the presets and in the map features wiki page.

One advise for Andrea: check the osm.org main mailing list and tagging
list archives about the "vote" process on the wiki. This will tell you
more than anything on the wiki about the process of establishing new
tags in OSM.

Pieren