On 25.06.2013 21:58, Pieren wrote:
> On 25/06/2013 17:22, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>> Sorry to be so harsh
>
> It's not the first time we welcome researchers on this list in such a
> bad mood (not necessarily you Jonathan). It's childish. You could
> start by explaining that the tagging process is complex, is not only
> happening on the wiki, that not all of them are the result of a
> consensus, that some of them are raised on foreign countries and
> extended later to the world (e.g. the "Karlsruhe schema").

Sorry, but if you are planning a research I expect you to first read a
bit. It should not be so hard to find older threads on the list's
archive and you will easily find what infos are wished.

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd argue that consensus is formed not from the wiki as much as from
>> from the editors, and the renderers, and taginfo.
>
> You cannot say that. Give me an example where the editors decided how
> to tag features in the past. By chance, the developers are not trying
> to impose new tags or changes. They follow what's happening on the
> tagging list and/or the wiki.

Wow, what an optimistic view. At least for JOSM I hope the few
developers spend there time coding and not checking the wiki and follow
the sometimes never ending discussions on the mailing lists. The presets
syntax is not that hard but there are only few people supplying patches.

> And taginfo is just showing stats which can be easily biased by mass
> imports.

+5

>> I think it's 3% of OSM users are responsible for 80-something percent of all
>> OSM data
> and probable 1% of that 3% is talking about creating, refining or
> changing tags. Most of the contributors simply don't search too long
> for a tag definition or a corresponding proposal on the wiki or
> statistics on taginfo. Most of them will simply not map the feature if
> if it's not present in the presets and in the map features wiki page.

Now you did explain yourself why editors (presets) form a tagging
scheme. Once you have reached a certain usage it is quite hard to change
the tag and there is no rule not to include tags in presets below a
certain usage or certain number of different users adding that tag.

> One advise for Andrea: check the osm.org main mailing list and tagging
> list archives about the "vote" process on the wiki. This will tell you
> more than anything on the wiki about the process of establishing new
> tags in OSM.

Or just have a look at the last month and you will learn at lot about
the process of developing tags (e.g. reservoir, power).

colliar