Janko Mihelić wrote:
2013/9/2 Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk <mailto:les...@lsces.co.uk>>:
 > If the fix for this is to manually apply the national speed limit to every
 > road, then OK, it's the first time anybody has suggested a fix and I'm
 > willing to give it a try ...

It's useful to give the source of the maxspeed. So if you have a sign, just put
source:maxspeed=sign. If there is no sign, and source is the law, put
source:maxspeed=uk:urban for maximum speed in urban areas, and
source:maxspeed=uk:rural for rural areas. I don't know the laws in the UK.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed

That's the way we in Croatia mark maxspeed. That way if the default maxspeed
changes, it will be possible to change it automatically.

The real point here Janko is there was a very major stop put to tagging ALL 'national speed limit' roads with tags as such. Short term I've added them locally, but they will need to be removed to comply with the tagging guidelines for the UK! It's the routing algorithms that need to be fixed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL