Frederik explained many of the usual troubles you may encounter. Sorry to
had many a few more :(

I recently had to deal with admin boundaries and the lack of homogeneous
tagging of worldwide reference numbers (like iso3166 or FIPS) does not help.
For example US states had only the usual 2 letters in the ref=* tag, no
fips code (which is a US federal classification) nor iso3166... so I added
fips codes to US states.

We could already start by making sure these worldwide references are
present in OSM data, and do some QA on them (make sure none is missing,
valid polygons, etc).

To help you, have a look at http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/ which renders
admin_level from 2 to 10...

See for example level 4 in Europe:
http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=6&lat=48.21736&lon=2.70236&layers=0B000FFFFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFF

UK level 4 is on the maritime borders (island culture ?) where most other
European countries stop on the coastline... tagging bio-diversity is not
helpful !

2013/10/2 César Martínez Izquierdo <cesar....@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I plan to create and make easily available a world-wide administrative
> layer based on OSM data, ideally including existing administrative codes
> (ISO, NUTS in Europe, etc) for each level and producing regular updates
> (for instance once a year).
>
> I think such a layer would be very useful for a number of scenarios, for
> instance for scientific analysis involving administrative boundaries,
> specially in areas where such data is not publicly available. Moreover, it
> would probably attract collaborators to complete or correct the OSM
> boundaries where needed.
>
> I'd like to learn about similar initiatives (I don't want to replicate
> efforts) or interested people, and also about existing tools for
> simplifying the work. My first idea is to use Map-it scripts (which create
> KML Admin Boundaries files from OSM data) as a basis for this work, but
> other ideas are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> César Martínez Izquierdo
>
> --
>    César Martínez Izquierdo
>    GIS developer
>    ETC-SIA: http://sia.eionet.europa.eu/
>    Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (SPAIN)

Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Un nouveau serveur pour OSM... http://donate.osm.org/server2013/