* Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> [2013-11-05 09:18 -0600]:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem is, some admin borders are supposed to be glued to roads or
> > rivers, and they change when the flow of a road or river changes. How do
> > you deal with that?
>
> Well, historically, the border doesn't move.

It depends.  In some cases, it doesn't move.  In other cases, if the
course of the river changes gradually by natural means (i.e. not someone
digging a new channel for it), the boundary is considered to move with it.

There's also the consideration that people might improve OSM's river or
road data over time.  If a boundary is glued to a road, but that road is
poorly-aligned in OSM, the user who improves its accuracy should be
updating both the road and the boundary.

Personally, I think that OSM's ball-of-mud approach to data is one of its
strengths and separating out its data into layers would be more of a
negative than dealing with all of the issues that come from mingling
administrative boundaries with everything else.