Ed Loach wrote:
Lester wrote:

 > The other area though is the fact that for many years we have been
(aside: we who?)

Well if I am the only person using embedded maps then why provide them?

 > using the
 > embedded map as a replacement for Google and I HOPE we still
 > want to encourage
 > that use? But the shift to being 'mapping' orientated as it odds with
 > that
 > usage? Now that I've found the 'HTML' share function ... and worked
 > out the
 > options ... it's not providing a tidy solution for the 'location' map. Yes
 > this
 > is subjective, but the 'View larger map' used to provide a single page
 > 'advert'
 > for OSM along with the map and it's that which has been lost?

I must be missing something. I've just tried an HTML share and the view larger
map link for my test links to

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.80497&mlon=1.15644#map=17/51.80498/1.15644

I've just been working through all the combinations again to document things myself. Yesterday when I grabbed an iframe, the large map link included a way reference! I edited it out. Not sure how I managed to get that as I would not have know the id number without it being supplied but it's not present today. I'm still having to add the marker to the larger map link. I'll produce a crib sheet when I get time, but I've a couple of websites to get finished and live ... and am working on the location maps ...

( how long will the short link references be maintained? I prefer the full version, but editing the redirect for short links could be a useful feature if they are intended to be permanent. Some site wipe them after 30 days? )

The embedded map does need finishing off with the same style navigation as the newer map, but as others have said, the old slider was a lot more mobile friendly!

That still makes it clear in the very top left that this is OpenStreetMap, (and
if I'm not logged in and haven't visited before AND clicked 'x' I believe I'll
see a welcome box making it even clearer).

Checking the old layout that didn't have the Welcome box, but had the bar down
the left with lots of links. Hardly an 'advert'. What is it that I'm missing?
The brief description text?

http://owl.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.80498/1.15643

I just prefer that single page layout ... It is actually very clean and obvious what everything is without needing to click on other buttons? The only 'incongruous' bit is the navigation section, and since the embedded map still has the left hand navigation, having to refocus to find them is niggling. It's a bit like the instances where a few Linux apps have moved the basic menu buttons from the left to the right and you have to keep searching for them or switch apps. But the main thing coming to the 'old' page is that you know straight away you are in 'view' mode ... it says so ... there is help for the search ... and there are links to find other areas directly on the screen. BOTH need a 'using this page' help button, but from my own view, all that was ever needed was a close button for the left hand box and for it to close when logged in? But I'm working on a desktop spanning two 26" monitors so the box was never a problem, and I can have JOSM open on one screen while navigating on the other.

It's not the 'map' that needed the major overhaul, it's the wiki/help that needs streamlining and all of the out of date material removed. With a getting started guide easily accessible. I know how difficult that is ... some of the crib sheets I've been updating haven't been touched since 2008 or earlier :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL