Hi,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:58:57AM +0100, Simon Poole wrote:

> One thing I would like to hear about in this context of this discussion,
> are examples of concrete use cases that are not happening because of
> share alike and that are in general things that the community would like
> to support (so not "evil corp can't take the data now and keep it").
> Concrete in the sense that they are uses that really would happen if
> share alike would be dropped, not "we can build a straw man that shows
> how bad share alike is".

I can tell on my own base. I work for a company which does FTTH/VDSL2
infrastructure operation and planning. Internally i am playing with
OSM Data mixed with other Telecoms infrastructure data - Using OSRM
to calculate infrastructure distances e.g. DSL Speeds etc., construction
costs of FTTC, FTTH projects.

Never ever that mixed infrastructure data will be available under ODbL.

Although the produced work might be interesting to detect internet white
spots i cant give it out of my Hands. So it'll stay as little toy project
of mine.

Whenever there is a need to produce stuff off my hands i'd need to buy
commercial map/geodata material.

It a matter of fact that i'd need to pay lawyers and find complicated
ways to use OSM - So i dont.

Complex Licenses or uncertainty is enough for me to not go down that path.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de