Am 17.03.2014 00:59, schrieb Lester Caine:
> But in places where we are mapping fine detail that Google has no idea
> about we are ... In my area of the UK Google has large blank areas
> where OSM has all the footpaths and roadways that are needed simply to
> navigate to many local businesses. Only OSM mapping takes you to the
> correct location ...
> In places even OS does not have the correct current details so the
> 'commercial users' have no real chance of being up to date.
> Since the current licence now fills in holes that previously existed
> that data is 'safe' from being simply harvested for commercial use?
> And routing programs that use the OSM data have an advantage.

OSM has so many places where there is almost nothing mapped. Large
cities, fine, but in smaller cities there is practically nothing which
you cannot see from the aerial photos. Because, as it would seem, OSM
mappers do the mapping all from their desk. They do not seem to go out
and look on the street ;) . And in other countries, OSM is practically
useless. Take a look outside of Europe.

If I, as a company, would use some map provider, I would definitely go
for "at least everywhere a minimum level of coverage" instead of only a
few places with excellent coverage.