On 01/01/2015 00:39, Tom Hughes wrote:
On 01/01/15 00:36, Dave F. wrote:

I'm struggling to comprehend how a button to turn off the notes layer,
that's separate (& hidden!) from the only obvious button to turn the
layer on can be described as 'logical' to an experienced user let alone
a newbie..

Well the problem is that what you see as a "button to turn on the
notes layer" is what I see as a "button to add a new note" ;-) That
button was intended to encode the "add a note" action, not the "view
notes" action.

OK, but however you perceive it, it still activates the 'view notes'. Although it adds clarity to do so, it's not essential to the 'add a note' function.

If I just wanted to view existing notes I wouldn't use that button, I
would open the layer switcher and turn on the notes layer.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how obvious do you think that is to the user?

The problem with turning off the notes layer again when the add note
control is disabled is that it might already have been on before you
started adding a note, so we would probably have to remember if we had
turned it on or if it was already on .

Trying to figure out what to do if somebody starts toggling the notes
layers on and off manually while the add note control is active just
introduces even more levels of complication...

By 'we' do you mean the programmers? I hope not. It's not that
complicated! on/off, yes/no, 0/1 binary! It's the DNA of computers!

No I'm not saying the programming is necessary complicated, I'm saying
it's hard to know what the correct behaviour is from a UX point of view.

I don't really see it as that confusing:

I don't think the 'add note' button needs to turn on the 'view notes', but lets assume it does:

* The 'add note' button turns both the add & view layers on & should them off again, except if 'view' was previously turned on via hidden option under Layers. Then it should leave 'view' on.

* If 'view' is turned off via the Layers menu while 'add' is visible, turn 'view' off as it not directly linked or strictly needed to add a note.

Cheers
Dave F.

---