As I understand it, there is an implied direction in that the convention is that the give_way node applies to the nearest intersection involving the way. But yes, I can see that involves extra computation.

Steve

On 27/04/2015 09:51, Colin Smale wrote:

The trouble with nodes is that they are non-directional. Junctions in quick succession, and lane-dependent give-ways could make a challenging scenario for a program to try and make sense of. Why not tag it explicitly instead of leaving it to heuristics which (by definition) will not always get it right?

//colin

On 2015-04-27 10:06, Steve Doerr wrote:

On 26/04/2015 12:35, Rob Nickerson wrote:
In the UK (particularly in rural areas) it is common to find a road that turns 90 degrees to the left or right without a junction (that is the road just continues and white lines mark it as such). Meanwhile another road may come in from the other side with a 'give way' style junction.
One simple way of representing this situation is to place give_way nodes on the
subsidiary roads. Whether any routers or renderers make use of these to deduce
that a particular route through the junction is the 'through route', I don't
know.

---