Am 15.06.2015 um 22:18 schrieb Arun Ganesh:
>> Not at all. I'm asking a contributor who feels that his local
> community is not very strong if there's anything specific he thinks
> could improve things.
>
> The very simple answer is that most people who know English and can
> afford a smartphone already use Google maps which work reasonably well
> in India. OSM is atleast 10 years behind in coverage and there is just a
> handful like me who have the luxury of free time who can see the long
> term benefits of contributing to open source. To the rest, they already
> have working maps, so why bother.

I would just want to point out that that the last point is not vastly
different in Western Europe and a lot of other regions.

I suspect the key to success is to find the itch that OSM can scratch
that currently isn't well served by google or other map providers. In
Europe early on (and still) it was cyclists. In full realisation that
the economic constraints are very different and this is a very cultural
dependent thing. What worked for region X is unlikely to work for Y.

> Change is happening, but its going to take a few years till there is
> visible traction in community growth.

I see no problem with that, I liken OSM to the tortoise in the fable.*

Simon

* I have at other times shown https://youtu.be/TdUsyXQ8Wrs as a
introduction particularly when competition has been present :-).