Andrew Wiseman writes:
 > We talked about this a bit at the HOT Birds of a Feather at State of the
 > Map -- to me it's a great idea. Why not ask some basic (and purely
 > optional) information when people join OSM, with some fields for that info,

IMHO, we should allow people to use OSM tools to create polygons of
interest. Then, people can choose to get various notifications based
on events relative to those polygons. For example, you could send a
message to a node or a way, and everyone whose polygons intersected it
would get a notification. Or people could get a notification of edits
within those polygons. Or of people who created a polygon intersecting
their polygon.

Basically, give people more tools to communicate with people who are
local to them, or local to their interests.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog