On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Mikel Maron <mikel.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A map with all the buildings can look "done" in the standard rendering,
> but of course we know it's not done. Is there a way to visualize the map to
> take into account the depth and local knowledge of the data? So that the
> pride of filling in the blank spot can be felt even when previous work has
> been done? I'd say that's a design challenge even in well mapped countries,
> which will need to be maintained and updated for the rest of time!

Fully agreed here. Most people find existing map data to build on when they
start mapping. Whether it's an import, remotely mapped or your neighbor who
you may love or hate - someone was there before you. This is going to be
the case even more so as the project matures. I remember from my own
experience that it took me ages to see where to jump in in my home town map
in Washington DC (and if it had been just TIGER data this would have been a
more obvious question to me). There's no doubt that from creating the map
there comes a sense of ownership, but as the project matures - how will new
mappers get confidence to partake in this ownership? All of that in a huge,
multi cultural and global community?

I found some fascinating leads for answers to this question in my new
colleague's Minh Nguyen's presentation at State of the Map US
http://stateofthemap.us/tickling-locals-into-action/ - the upshot is:
"mappers learn by seeing other mappers do" and this rings true to me
looking at my own experience. But here's a list of questions and ideas that
come to my mind that could all help us collaborate better around the map:

- How can we show better where data is stale?
- Can we show what's "missing"?
- Better spaces for constructive local conversations - notes and changeset
comments are already a huge improvement. Groups?
- How can the OSMF be more accessible for non-English speakers?
- What else?