On 07/09/2015, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2015-09-07 17:31, Russ Nelson wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/abandonedrails/permalink/1044885352211646/
>>

>> It's on facebook and I have to log in to see it. I don't have a facebook
>> account, so could someone post here whay it says?
>
> "Added a Google Earth map of New York Central RR this morning. It
> includes construction history of each line based on ICC valuation info
> if you click the line. It includes abandoned routes, so it may be
> helpful in exploring those. I still have to add trackage rights in
> places. You must have the Google Earth program downloaded on your
> computer for it to open."
>
> And a link to a .kmz file for Google Earth.

I don't have Facebook either to check, but AFAIU this person has just
created his own data layer )in kmz format) separate from Google's main
map data (even if hosted on the same platform) ?

If that's it, it's something for which OSM is already well suited for
(uMap being the most directly-comparable tool) and I don't see why
that person would not feel comfortable in OSM (plus the usual benefits
of contributing to OSM rather than GM). And the fact that he's not
entering that data in GM proper IMHO an argument *against*
railway=dismantled in OSM (but a very weak argument to be sure).