tracks=2, and the tags on the highway way was originally preferred if the
tracks were consistently in the middle of the street

To me, that single line veers implausibly from one side of the street to
the other, and I'd probably be more concerned to get the highway and the
tram tracks to line up properly (by whatever method).

The ideal nowadays is probably to draw the tracks (and the carriageways if
they are split by a pair of tram tracks) separately, but there isn't much
point doing one and not the other.