On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Michael Reichert <naka...@gmx.net> wrote:
> A conference can become a real community conference if it is located at
> the center of the community, i.e. in Europe. Having a conference at a
> remote location, i.e. Buenos Aires, might be good to boost the local
> communities but it is not profitable.

is this actually data supported? did we notice a measurable increase
in user contributions from Argentina, or a better community
engagement?

I would like to consider if a "conference" like SOTM is still the
right thing to do. We just organized a small get-together without
calling it officially a conference (centered around un-conference,
spontaneity and being all in the same location), and, surprise, about
50 people did show up for the event. Never in the history of OSM in
Italy so many people attended.

--
-S